Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

SRM Software

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-10, 01:08 PM
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
Gold Standard: WKO+, but runs on Windows only.

GC now has MOST of the features that make WKO+ the gold standard. It's easily a 90% solution, and it runs on your mac, and it's free.
I've got WKO+ running under wine in Ubuntu

edit: for full disclosure I download data from my ptap using gc. Some might call this a bastardization. don't care
Old 06-04-10, 01:10 PM
slow up hills

Bikes: Giant TCR, Redline CX, Ritchey Breakaway, Spec S-works epic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kensuf
Performance Manager?

note: SB="training stress balance", LTS = "long term stress" (CTL?), and STS = "short term stress" (ATL?)

The period for calculating those is all configurable.
couple of things: a 400+ TSS day? did you go into a coma later?

2) for the developers, I think MY own personal BS/day might be off the charts
Old 06-04-10, 01:24 PM
technical brains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
You can add in any activity but if the distance or time are zero then there won't be a BikeScore estimate (which is based on the previous 30 day's power files, so it's for riding). BS =~ TSS so if you have a way to estimate TSS you can use that.
so if you are able to calculate the TSS for a workout, you could enter that number in the BikeScore line, possibly leaving the distance or time fields blank and it would be able to calculate/handle non-cycling workouts?
Old 06-04-10, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ericm979
Bikescore of 0 would be a bug of some sort. Especially if there was xpower, which means that GC sees the power data. You might try a newer release.
thanks. most likely some type of "user error". those are common when i'm the "user".
Old 06-04-10, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by isadorah
so if you are able to calculate the TSS for a workout, you could enter that number in the BikeScore line, possibly leaving the distance or time fields blank and it would be able to calculate/handle non-cycling workouts?
Yep. It'll just use what you put in. The BikeScore number displayed when you fill in distance or time is an estimate based on your power files from the last 30 days; you can override it. The 30 days is configurable. WKO has a similar manual entry although it doesn't estimate your TSS for you (at least with 2.2). WKO let you put in workout type; GC doesn't.

I've had a number of 400+ TSS days. It takes me at least 6-7 hours and a lot of climbing to hit that.
Old 06-05-10, 09:56 AM
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
This conversation is the reason I don't have a pm. We just talked about some of this stuff at breakfast and I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel the order and just go about business as usual. Not sure I see the upside to making things this complicated. It's like you all are talking another language to me.

Last edited by gsteinb; 06-05-10 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-05-10, 10:06 AM
Overacting because I can

Bikes: Merlin Agilis, Trek 1500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
This conversation is the reason I don't have a pm. We just talked about some of this stuff at breakfast and I'm pretty sure I'm going to cancel the order and just go about business as usual. Not sure I see the upside to making things this complicated. It's like you all are talking another language to me.
BF heresy.

On a more practical level, do you have a coach? Even if you're not into the data, a coach might be / should be.

"I am a courageous cyclist." (SpongeDad)
Old 06-05-10, 12:04 PM
out walking the earth

Yes (my kid's new catch phrase). The issue seems to be how to get what relevant data we "need"(meaning what isadorah is going to cull from the srm, and other workouts-- for instance the hardest thing I'll likely do each week is race on the track meaning no data) and send. What does she need? What us relevant? Important?

Last edited by gsteinb; 06-05-10 at 12:08 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 12:37 PM
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 161 Posts
Dude, just play with it for a bit and learn the terminology. You're a smart guy and there's no reason for you to eschew the weird words when they will reap you good benefits in the short and more importantly, long term.
Old 06-05-10, 01:05 PM
out walking the earth

are you drinking again?
Old 06-05-10, 02:11 PM
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Dude, just play with it for a bit and learn the terminology. You're a smart guy and there's no reason for you to eschew the weird words when they will reap you good benefits in the short and more importantly, long term.
Useful is:

You need a software package that allows you to track _________, ______________, and _______________. Of the options available for mac these work: ________________ and _________________.

It's also helpful to be able to do __________________. But only WKO+ does that.

or

In order to track these parameters ______________, _________________ and ___________________. To do that on a mac you need to run two pieces of software ______________ and ____________. For the same money you can run WKO+ on emulation software.

Or even:

I don't know anything about mac software but I use ___________ on windows and I like it because it allows me to track these things: ______________, _______________, and _________________.

'Just do it' is for Lance Armstrong Nike commercials. Two things, and an attitude so mired in cliche as to be useless.
Old 06-05-10, 02:34 PM
Maximus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey gsteinb,

If you have been using a HRM to train, an easy first step would be to continue your training plan, but using Power zones rather than HR zones. That would give you the chance to get familiar with the equipment and the lingo. Since you can simultaneously see your HR, you'll be surprised to see how much more variable it is, compared to power.

That's how I did the transition.
It's heresy to say this here, but I don't think the WKO+ is essential to get the benefits from a PM. You know the principles, you would be using a much better metric to keep track of your progress.

Sorry for the intrusion.

Last edited by Gluteus; 06-05-10 at 02:39 PM.
Old 06-05-10, 03:24 PM
out walking the earth

no intrusion. thanks
Old 06-05-10, 06:09 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FTP (functional threshold power) is your average power for an all out 1 hour TT. It's a measure of your aerobic power. Everything else is based on FTP- 100 TSS points is the amount of stress you'd accumulate doing that 1 hr TT. (BikeScore is GoldenCheetah's TSS, consider it to be the same). Since you can measure stress you can now see what effect that has on you. For me the most important thing is seeing when I am working too hard and accumulating too much stress. I tend to just keep riding when its better that I rest. The other values (LTS, STS, SB) are ways of seeing how the stress level is changing.

I highly recommend the Coggan and Allen Training and Racing with a Power Meter book. It's got all this stuff in it and a lot more. My normal recommendation is to read the book before you get the PM. If you finish it excited about the stuff you can do with a PM, go buy one. If you get bored and put it down, then don't bother with the PM. A certain amount of understanding and geeking out over data is needed to get much out of the PM. If you're not willing to do that then it's just a very expensive bike computer. There
is nothing wrong with that, not everyone is a data dweeb with an interest in exercise physiology. And being one isn't required to be fast or to enjoy riding. Some of the guys I ride with won't even use a bike computer or HRM and they're faster than I am.
Old 06-05-10, 06:21 PM
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
this might come as a surprise, but I think you might be making the right decision in not going down the power route. I think powermeters are great, provided that you go "all in" and use them as a primary training tool. same with the software. I use it with religious devotion and it has helped me immensely in the short time I have been using it.

However, you clearly already have a program for success that shows clear and definite results.

I think there are many ways to become successful at something. Some trombonists did this by method books and teachers. I did it by years of ear playing, improvisation and doing every gig I could.
Old 06-05-10, 07:42 PM
technical brains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
However, you clearly already have a program for success that shows clear and definite results.
if i am not mistaken, the idea is to use the powermeter to develop a training program for him to come back from the recent battle with the pavement.
Old 06-05-10, 07:50 PM
out walking the earth

Well also there are guys faster than me who swear by them, so there's that too. So beyond the immediate need there is a viable long term use.
Old 06-05-10, 07:58 PM
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
ok then...

my personal preference, in simple terms:

I don't like PC (I am also a mac person) but I have a 10 year old one running WKO (and nothing else) because:

it's the best for helping track the training loads I put on myself, and the rest periods I mix in, and (hopefully) helps with planning peaks and avoiding overtraining.

it is also very good for analyzing critical power levels for efforts of 5 minutes, or 20 minutes, or one hour (all of which matter to me a lot)

if you get the SRM, it's nice to have the SRM software as well, so you might consider parallels for that purpose too.

I have also used Golden Cheetah and PowerAgent. WKO is better. Enough better that it was worth dealing with my old pc again. of course you could just buy an old pc like mine for the purpose, but parallels/vmware/whatever should work.

edit: have also tried raceday as well. WKO better
Old 06-05-10, 09:49 PM
Batüwü Creakcreak

I think the performance manager is the best part of the equation as you can track your training status so to speak. This is what makes WKO+ awesome.

Golden Cheetah, from what I've seen, has pretty much all the same metrics, except that they're called different things. As long as you just 'convert' the terminology, you'll know what you, and everyone else, are talking about.

CTL, TSB, and ATL are helpful. I don't know the acronyms for the GC stuff, but as Kensuf pointed out, their version of the performance manager works for peaking and such.

Read some stuff on phys farm's website and blog. You can figure it out.

Truth be told, if you really do want to get the most out of it, I don't understand why it's an issue to deal with windows just for your data. You're not doing anything else with it, and wko+ is the gold standard for a reason. A reason that's worth dealing with windows for.
Old 06-06-10, 06:16 AM
technical brains

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Truth be told, if you really do want to get the most out of it, I don't understand why it's an issue to deal with windows just for your data. You're not doing anything else with it, and wko+ is the gold standard for a reason. A reason that's worth dealing with windows for.
Running Windows isn't the issue, we can easily put parallels onto the computer. The hang-up seems to be not being able to input non-cycling workouts. For those that use wko+ how do you track/address your non-cycling activities?
Old 06-06-10, 06:57 AM
Realist

Bikes: Roubaix, Tarmac, Fixed Gear

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I use a combination of WKO+ and Training Peaks. I'm into data and these provide every form of metric. (and they tell me I suck at this sport)

These were the two programs that were recommended by a coach and friend. He has collaborated with Friel and has been both a director sportif and a cat 1 racer for over 13 years.

Sorry i should have stipulated that Training Peaks is great for non cycling related activities.

Last edited by Greg180; 06-06-10 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-06-10, 08:15 AM
Batüwü Creakcreak

Running Windows isn't the issue, we can easily put parallels onto the computer. The hang-up seems to be not being able to input non-cycling workouts. For those that use wko+ how do you track/address your non-cycling activities?
You could easily put in the non cycling workout as the cycling equivalent perhaps?

Trainingpeaks tracks everything methinks.
Old 06-06-10, 10:16 AM
out walking the earth

Running Windows isn't the issue, we can easily put parallels onto the computer.
Wow. It's like I don't even know you.
Old 06-06-10, 10:36 AM
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
For those that use wko+ how do you track/address your non-cycling activities?
WKO lets you enter manual workouts for a variety of sports, if you're tracking training load you can input it as a bike workout and estimate the equivalent bike workout. I do that in the winter when I cross country ski.

Running Windows isn't the issue, we can easily put parallels onto the computer.
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Wow. It's like I don't even know you.
Don't start with her. I'll come over and punch you in the shoulder.

Last edited by Racer Ex; 06-06-10 at 10:41 AM.
Old 06-06-10, 10:43 AM
out walking the earth

Then I'd get to buy you dinner

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.