View Single Post
Old 11-07-09, 06:18 PM
3bikes
VeloFellow

Bikes: Commuter(Specialized Globe 6,IG8), Mountain (Specialized FSR), Road (Felt F55-2006)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got that new saddle....

First of all, thanks to everyone on the forum that replied to my post earlier this week about replacing the saddle on my bike. People weighed in on different brands, but overwhelmingly it was suggested I try a Brooks saddle. Well, here is a new photo of my Specialized Globe City 6 IG8 with a Honey Brown saddle... I'll explain why after the photo:

Looking on-line for saddles proved to be difficult... let's face it... it's your butt that decides what saddle is going to work for you. The Brooks of England web site had all sorts of information, but the difficulty I find in my area is actually getting to know a Brooks saddle. Most shops, if they even carry Brooks, will only have one or two saddles on display, under glass, under lock and key. Shopping for such a personal product on-line may work for some... they may save money... however for me, I tend to buy and keep for a long time.

So, on the Brooks website, there is a section for looking up Brooks Saddle retailers. After entering continent & country, there is a list of Brooks retailers... some just listed, others highlighted by 1 to 5 copper rivets. One of those 5 rivet retailers is only about 10 miles from my home: Topanga Creek Bicycles is a little bike shop with quality bikes, custom work, good people and just about every Brooks saddle they make.
http://www.topangacreekbicycles.com

I drove out there with my bike on the rack, walked in with my story of a broken saddle and soon good things happened. They talked to me about saddles. They looked over my bike and understood the style of commuter riding I did. They suggested I sit on some sample seats, figure out my likes, dislikes... it was a real fitting session.

I fully intended to purchase a B67 black leather seat. But when I sat, compared, looked over the colours and styles, I ended up buying a Honey/Brown Flyer (a B17 with black springs). Now, I know some people on the forum my not like the brown saddle on a black bike, but the contrast hit me with the copper rivets and all. Would I have made such a decision on-line? Most likely not. Do I feel I purchased the perfect saddle? Yes.

I'm looking forward to many miles of commuting with the Brooks saddle. Once again, thanks to everyone on the forum who wrote to my earlier post of "New saddle time..." I appreciate your suggestions.

-3bikes
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
photo.jpg (99.9 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg
photo2.jpg (74.0 KB, 64 views)