Old 11-08-09, 03:37 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by semperfi1970
If a tire mounts this hard I would think it should not be used with your rims. How will you fix a flat on your way to work? I have shallow rims ( sun-rims cr-18 )...
These rims are on my SS in combo w/SMP 25mm tires and have had 1 slow leak(front-from the gravel road portion of my commute) w/them. This bike for is used for commuting, though it's primary purpose is fun/recreational. All my bikes are equipped w/SMPs because I HATE getting flats. Used to use Nu-Tecks, but the rolling resistance got to be a grind. So I went to, arguably the best commuting/touring tire in the market. In over 12,000 miles of muti-purpose cycling on 3 different bikes I've had 2 slow leaks and 1 bonified flat. The 2 slow leaks were pinch flats and the one flat I DID get was from a 2" self-starting screw. It was buried so deep into the tire I had to use my phillips screwdriver attachment on my multi-tool to unscrew it.

Would recommend 28 or 32mm SMPs for CR18s if commuting under load as the 25mm are a little 'flat' for carrying weight w/those rims. I wanted the option of running a seatpost rack/trunkbag combo w/my SS, so I chose the CR18s because of their strength/price ratio. Have a 36h 4x on the rear and a 32h 3x on the front. My primary commuter has Alex R500s and I run 28mm SMPs w/them. Were I to go to CR18s I'd probably go to 32mm as I use this bike for alot of utilitarian purposes as well as commuting.

Sorry, thread drift... Yes, the SMPs are a little bigger all around than standard because of the extra layer of rubber. This, also creates a little more rolling resistance, but the trade off for a(almost) flat free existance is well worth it.