View Single Post
Old 11-08-09, 10:26 PM
bornhere

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fivethumbs View Post
Here is my recently acquired '86 Ironman. Serial number N6B7281. It is about 95% original. The front wheel was changed to a Mavic MA40 but other than that it was original when I got it. It was in rough shape when I picked it up but for the most part it just needed some elbow grease and TLC. Paint was in bad shape but no dents or dings. I swapped out the seat with a Speciaized Toupe, the seatpost for a Nitto, and the original Dia-Compe Gran Compe Aero brake levers I swapped out for some new Shimano levers. I bought the bike to ride everywhere, not just to look at. And to be honest, the Dia-Compe levers combined with the Shimano 6207 single pivot brakes were scary on some steep twisty descents. The Shimano levers deliver so much more braking power to the single pivot brakes that it's not even funny. I don't mind because it still looks vintage/original with the Shimano levers. There were some other issues with the bike, but once I got it going it turned out to be my favorite bike. I have been riding it everywhere. The geometry is great. Very comfortable. It's been a great bike for both climbing and descending. It's really fun to ride.

NNNNice, I have never seen one biggie sized. Looks like theirs hope for me yet.