mandovoodoo
Violin guitar mandolin

Bikes: Wilier Thor, Fuji Professional, LeMond Wayzata

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Amazing discussion.

Our culture (TV and general atmosphere) fails to acknowledge the complexity of driving, the responsibilities of driving, and the consequences of bad driving. We also fail to acknowledge and promote the role of distracted and aggressive driving, although we do focus on alcohol. Not that we do much about alcohol - we let drunks continue to drive under most circumstances.

As bicyclists, we both see the distracted drivers and experience the impact of that distraction first hand. Probably more than most other highway users. In town, bicyclists likely occupy the best position for detecting and observing distracted and aggressive driving. Out in the faster world, I suspect motorcyclists occupy that position.

I suspect a comprehensive remedy would require ashift in how we portray driving, changes in driver education, PSA campaigns, and a focus on removing distracted drivers from the highways. I can't really see this happening. But out in my neck of the woods, 3 motorcycle patrol officers specifically targeting distracted and aggressive drivers would likely sharpen up driving a great deal over the course of a year. And probably become a real moneymaker. They'd train the locals (and the local distracted morons are pretty obvious - I see the same ones all the time) and peel cash away from our tourist population.

Oddly, around here I also face the problem of overly focused drivers. We have a notorious road, the "Dragon" just over a few hills and a nice lakeside run from here. Motorcyclists and sports car enthusiasts use the "Dragon" for fun. They speed (I have no real problem with that), but also get focused on honing their racing lines, rather than looking ahead for oncoming traffic. Enforcement intermittently focuses on reckless driving along that and other sports tourist routes. Because most of the poor behavior comes from visitors and enforcement can only be spotty, I can't see much of a solution.

Similar to bicycling in traffic, I end up with some sport biker behind me waiting to get around me, while some yahoo in black on a heavy cruiser is coming at me 6" over the double yellow, leaning into my lane, and showing lots of white in his eyes. Doesn't matter what vehicle I'm using - truck, motorcycle, or bicycle - I end up in that situation too often on our mountain roads. At least the thing is out of cell tower range. The endless curves and many deaths probably wouldn't keep the morons from getting a conversation fix.

Myself, I just don't want to talk to people all that much!