Old 03-24-05, 10:57 AM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Maybe you drive in Podunk, USA..But in busy urban areas, about 1/3 of them are suicidal nut jobs...So, well-guess that means a majority of them are ok...I do not necessarily post this as a cyclists , but also as a motorist...2000 lbs steel crashing into my Jetta is not that much different than while on the bike..
what is the hurry in all that lane changing and illegal passing just to get to a red light before the rest..But,then who let red lights stop about 5% of all motorists...from a personal perspective..Driving is no longer fun..Since you have to worry about speed demons and nut cases...Like to think people are not automatically like that..Road rage is caused by disfunctional highways, that get you nowhere fast..
I'm not sure that Phoenix, AZ would count as podunk given its the 5th largest city in the US. Near-daily new stories are about red-light runners (one of the worst cities for that), highway deaths, agressive and criminal driving, road rage, etc. All those things you list above.

But I don't believe that it is because most people are jerks - actually it sounds like we agree. I also like you find that the problems are far more notable when you are also in a car compared to when you are on a bicycle.

Al