View Single Post
Old 11-11-09, 05:42 PM
Lightingguy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
Any particular reason Officer Shelly doesn't keep an eye on ALL bikes?!?

If a locked bike screams "steal me" then why doesn't the BC security / police set up bait bikes and cull the vermin pack?
The BC public safety officer referred to is stationed at the west entrance to the campus, where there is a small bike rack located just inside the gate on college property. This is the primary (and very busy) vehicle entrance as well as a pedestrian entrance - but not the primary ped. entrance and is not adjacent to, nor in view of the area where the OP's bike got stolen.

Thus any of the PS officers stationed here can and do "keep an eye" on the group of bikes at this small rack and I would suspect would intervene if someone attempted to clip a cable lock on a bike at this location. And I mis-spelled, as it's Officer Sherry (not Shelly) who's the usual day shift officer at this location.

This is also the case at the primary bike lock up location on the north side of the campus, just inside the gate between the Boylan and Whitehead buildings, also not in view of nor adjacent to the OP bike theft location.

Then there are countless bikes locked to assorted sign stanchions on sidewalks that are on the campus perimeter and I've seen bikes locked to the wrought iron fence that surrounds the campus, but am also aware that college policy is to not allow bikes locked to the fence, and officers will inform folks of this policy. The officers do not have a complete view of the entire perimeter of the campus and generally do not really "patrol" the sidewalks as that's city property.

I have no idea what action they take if they see a bike locked to the fence and one thought
I had was to wonder if the college facilities folks clipped the lock and took the bike for safe keeping - grounds keepers, carpenters, etc... I would think that Public Safety would have to initiate a request for this and that they would then be aware of a bike being confiscated, but who knows....

I would also suspect that the BC Public Safety office, being responsible for the college property, is not aware of - necessarily, of thefts on the sidewalks. This is also a very crime busy police precinct, with the area around the "Junction" (Nostrand and Flatbush at the end of the #2 subway) being a hotbed for thefts, robberies, etc... and I know that the precinct cops don't give a flying F _ _ K if somebodies bike gets clipped.

SB

Last edited by Lightingguy; 11-11-09 at 05:45 PM.