View Single Post
Old 11-14-09, 01:43 PM
tblendell

Bikes: cannondale topstone, caad 10, trek superfly, bike friday pocket rocket

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
had a breakaway and i loved how it rode. getting the couplings tightened just right, esp. the seat tube coupler, was a little hinky. sometimes it would make a thud sound when out of the pedals. was it too tight? too loose? anyway, it was always a slight concern. to pack it was probably about the same as an S&S coupled bike. i didn't have a wheeled case, unfortunately, so it was kind of a nightmare to get around airports etc. plus it had a big rounded section on one side which made it a big awkward. def. need to use a lot of padding so it doesn't get damaged in transit. mine did a little.
i rarely packed it though and it was great bike. i sold it, however, when i got a pocket rocket, which, by the way, takes about the same amount of time pack and unpack. however, it fits into a much more convenient package, and is more versatile in terms of using it for touring, or fast riding, or the ability to fold it, put it into a bag and carry it onto a TGV.
i would love to buy a ritchey steel road frame that was actually NOT a breakaway.