View Single Post
Old 11-17-09, 12:03 AM
tuxbailey

Bikes: 2012 Guru Praemio R - 2001 Jamis Ventura - 1990 Specialized Hard Rock (with original tires) - 2012 Trek Cobias

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Habanero vs BD MC vs used Frames

So I was pretty much set on getting the BD Ti Ultegra Compact bike next Spring for about $1,700 (or $1,800 if they raise their price.)

While idling I started to look at the used market and found that I could get older Ti framesets for less than the framesets price from BD. I think if I am prudent with component choices (getting some used, and some while on sale) I can get within the price of the BD bike. But of course there isn't a warranty.

There is also Habanero to consider as there frame is slightly more expensive than BD but with less stigma.

In the used market I have seen 2002-2004 Litespeed Tuscany framesets sell at $800-$900. Is that a good price? My question is whether it is a good value to go that route vs the Habanero or BD.

The complete bike price for the Hab is more expensive than BD.

The Litespeeds look nice but they are older. However, as long as they are not cracked I assume that they will last as long. The BD Ti,....well it is BD, good value but it is not as "sexy" a brand.

Tubing-wise, Habanero and Litespeed are straight gauge where the Motocebane is butted. Although I am not sure if it really matters if I don't race.

What do you guys think?