Old 08-04-02, 08:21 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok...first question. In you title you say 1000$ but in your post you say 100$. So how much. If you mean 100, I have no clue. I assume you mean 1000$ and this is a good range. What currency. Here are some bike around 1000 in cdn

1 - Kona Stuff - good freeride geometry. AWESOME frame with decent parts. Soft/plush 4 inch fork good for 90% of the xc riding involved. This is a HT.

2 - Kona Cindercone - xc geometry. Frame isn't as tough but good for a xc. Lighweight with better components than above.

3 - Norco Bigfoot - similar to the Cindercone in geometry with better overall parts.

It really depends on where and what kind of riding you plan to do. For the stuff I do a xc frame won't always cut it.

Also if you are spending american money then you can get even higher quality bikes. (damn exchange) For 1000$ american you could get an almost race quality bike in a ht.
There are many others all in different brands. Rocky Mountain is another tough bike that doesn't break the bank. Don't get a fs in this price range. The frames will always be weaker and the components will ALWAYS be lesser quality. Unless it is used, stolen or on a special sale.