View Single Post
Old 11-26-09, 04:11 PM
Crankforward

Bikes: Rans Fusion,a bunch of goodwill bikes I work on

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought the Ezee kit from ebikes.ca (aka Justin).. I have 400 miles on it now and it is exactly what I hoped it would be. It is not super fast,I get about 19 mph when I crank and pedal, but I now do hills at 16-17 mph that used to slow me down to 8-10 mph. It has really increased my bike usage ,and I have put on about 1100 miles each year for the last 3 years.
The geared hubmotor has one advantage that sold me.. no resistance when I pedal with the motor off. I can regulate my usage that way. For instance ...
In the morning on the way to work its Hammer down, I dont care about how many amp hours I use cause I want to get to work as fast as possible..
In the evening I might not use the motor on flats and downhill because I want to take a much longer ride.
Also Dont rule out Nicad batteries. Thats what I bought. The Li-Ions are great and one day when I build a pleasure bike (super fast of course) I will buy them, But for my everyday get to work and around town I choose Nicad ..Why?
I can work on them. No BMS electronics genius required. If a cell goes bad ,out it goes and solder in another one. From what Ive read on Li-ion one under performing cell can lead to a horror story. I dont have the money,time,or inclination to go there.
One more thing about the Ezee, is it is supposedly pretty waterproof if you need to ride in those kind of conditions. I usually try not to but I live in Central Texas and have a choice...
Also , one thing you need to think about is how much do you want to pedal. I have been pedaling around for 3 years without a motor and I knew I wanted some assistance ,or else I would buy a gasoline motor setup from Staton.If you like to pedal you can regulate the amp hours and get around faster too. It has really improve my life..
I am not affiliated with ebikes .ca except as a satisfied customer.. READ

Last edited by Crankforward; 11-26-09 at 04:33 PM.