Old 11-26-09, 06:41 PM
nwmtnbkr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dzrthauler
God I love this forum!! A perfect and timely thread for my wife and I as we are currently doing our research on what type of front and rear lighting we need - primarily for day riding and minimal night riding. I'd love some input... we are in a rural area; traffic "in town" is moderate and has by no means the heavy light pollution as shown in an earlier post with pic. We are also interested in the turn signal concept for our utility & pet trailers... weren't there some bike turn signal applications back in the '70's? I haven't looked to see if any are still in the marketplace currently. Happy Thanksgiving & God Bless!!
dzrthauler,

I just built my own turn signals using amber super bright LED strobes that are fairly large 3.7" x 1.6" (there are 22 LEDs per unit) and a center off toggle from Radio Shack. The LED strobes I got online from a Hong Kong vendor for under $7.00 a pair (with free shipping). http://www.suntekstore.com/us-44-led...hts-amber.html I would order from this vendor again, I got my order in about 2 weeks. I also ordered a red super bright LED strip fro a brake light; it's attached to my rear brake cable via a micro lever switch that I picked up at my local Ace hardware (the brake light is triggered everytime I press the rear brake lever). All the LEDs require little power. I've got the 4 turn signals wired to 1 9V battery; and I've got the brake light wired to a separate 9V battery. I have a trailer too and one of my winter projects is going to be adding turn signals and brake lights to it as well as making extension cables to plug them into the existing turn signal and brake wires on my bike. I'll be ordering more LED strobes from the same source. Good luck, I think you should have no problems tackling a project like this.

Here are some photos of my turn signals and a blurry one of the brake light as well as a brief video showing the brightness of the LED strobes.