Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
On my commute into downtown Portland (both driving and riding), I find that generic blinky lights clue me into the existence of a bike rider best. (I see many riders, even on my normal 7AM commute.) It doesn't necessarily give me a good idea of how far or how fast, but they're the longest-range cue I've seen.

I saw a pair of riders coming towards me one morning, riding side-by-side with fairly powerful headlights. At long range, I thought they were a slow-moving car.

The riders that get me are the ones wearing all black or grey, with only a tiny blinky in front and rear. Technically "legal", but damned hard to see. I call 'em "ninjas", which makes wrong-way riders wearing black "ninja salmon". Beware the Ninja Salmon!!
There is something about rush hour on the Hawthorn bridge when you see so many lights coming / going as cyclists head to and from work... I was told it was a little quiet in October when I was last there but I was still very impressed with the number of cyclists on the road.

I bet it will be even quieter when I am there in a little under a month as it will be winter and I know how PDXr's feel about ice / snow...

I'll be the guy riding around in shorts with a bunch of blinkies and reflective bits.