View Single Post
Old 11-29-09, 09:59 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
I hike and ride. They do complement each other. I don't carry much but a backpack with a few provisions, so I really don't use a hiking boot. I use trail shoes that I purchased from an outdoor sporting retailer. The brand is Solomon. Its like a running shoe but more built up. The soles provide more insulation from the rough terrain and have more grip. The top part has more protection features and is a bit more supportive laterally.

With this type of shoe, a hiker can actually do some running. You might try a bit of running while hiking. Try alternating between running and hiking. On the ascents, it will help in the bike climbing. On running the descents, the shoe has to be a half size larger to prevent the toe jamming into the shoe. I begin the hike descent and gradually do a choppy jog until I get my rhythm. Then the stride begins to stretch out. On more technical trails, the arms play a big part of balance.

I have a Garmin Edge 305 for my road bike. I also use that Garmin for hiking. It will tell me the amount of climbing. But I have to turn off the auto pause feature. Easy enough.

Have fun.

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 11-29-09 at 10:02 AM.