tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by daredevil
I'm curious if some don't ride with music purely because of the legal issue. They would be comfortable riding with music otherwise. How about you tatfiend?
Do you think it can be done safely or are you simply referring to the law to somehow prove that it can't be done safely?
I am not a noise/music lover and do not use the car radio either. I was trying to point out that it cannot be done LEGALLY. IMO this could have liability considerations if you are involved in an accident while riding or driving with earphones or earplugs on. As I have not tried it I have no opinion on riding with an MP3 player and headphones. I consider that it should be personal choice but did want to point out the legality of doing so.

Lots of dumb laws on the books. IIRC it is illegal in CA to drive a car on public roads while wearing a crash helmet but it is required for motorcyclists. Head injuries kill a lot of car drivers too!
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/