Old 03-27-05, 05:11 PM
Dougmt

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Rear rack idea....

I've posted on my "new" stumpjumper touring bike and it is now complete. The maiden voyage, albeit short, is complete. I'm now looking into the rack situation. I know there is the OMM racks but to me, they just don't look strong and durable. I understand that they ARE, I just don't like the "one size fits all" design.
What I have done is this: I set the rack in position and realizd that the mounting holes lined up perfectly with my my rear skewer. I had about an inch of room above my tires left too. The upper mounts glide perfectly up to my seat stay and if I turn both upper mounts inward they fit like they were designed for this. My rear fender even lines up perfectly with the fender mounts built into the rack. So why shouldn't I do this? Is there a liabilty issue with mounting the rack BETWEEN the skewer pressure points and the frame? Also, could I use a tandem rear skewer to give me some more bolt length? What about the skewer used for the BOB trailers? Seems to me like it would work. I like how it sits nice and low, without being TOO low, on the 21" frame. I know changing the rear tirre might be a bugger but so what if it takes an extra 10 minutes?
Any input?
I can get some pics of my plan if needed but it's raining like monsoon season here.
On the front rack I am going to use the rack mounts built into the surly 1X1 fork (bottom) and then use the canti bosses for the top with a piece of machined aluminum or stainless bracket. Those boss mounts are perfect for this application since I am using discs up front.
Thanks for any input, I was really concerned about mounting a rear rack on the stumpjumper but it seems, if I'm not overlooking something, that I've got this problem licked.
D