Old 12-03-09, 06:20 AM
lineinthewater

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Switching to Compact Double from Triple - good decision? compatibility?

I found a deal on a Shimano R700 Compact Crankset (50/34), which includes an english-threaded BB. I'm a little nervous I missed something when doing my research.

I've made the following assumptions based on some research (are these accurate?):

1. I'm assuming it is an external BB that is compatible with my Caad7 Cannondale.

2. The R700 will work with my current Shimano 105 FD.

3. My 105 shifters will work with a double.

4. The R700 will work fine with my 9-speed drivetrain (it does say 9-speed compatible).

Did I miss something?

Assuming this crank is compatible with my current setup, I'm still a little nervous the compact crankset may not be a good fit. I currently have a TruVatiV Elita SL Triple, 30/42/52 and a 12/27 cassette. Because of cross-chaining, rubbing on the FD, and overlap, I probably only use 20 (at most) of the 27 gears on my current setup. I spend almost all my time in the 42 chainring right now ... but I do use the 30 on steeper hills. I'm not too worried about the reduction from 52 to 50 on the high side.

My primary reasons for switching were: better chain-line, smoother shifting, more responsive crank, easier maintenance, better fit/use of gears, good price. I don't race - I'm just a recreational cyclist who primarily rides for exercise.

Feedback?