Old 12-03-09, 08:00 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6228 Post(s)
Liked 4,231 Times in 2,373 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
PS. She also uses it to commute to work. It is really similar to the T1. I think the main differences are the components. 105's or Ultegra vs Tiagra.
The differences are a little more fundamental than the difference between Ultegra and Tiagra. The T1 uses a mostly 105 drivetrain. This means that your choices on gearing are limited. The crank is a 50/39/30 and the inner bolt circle on the 105 crank only allows for a 24 tooth low gear. The T2 uses a Shimano trekking crank (48/36/26) that is a mountain bike crank with a larger chain ring. The trekking crank allows for a 22 tooth low.

The T1 uses an Ultegra rear derailer which is being stretched past its capacity. Shimano says that they can only take a 27 tooth low on the cassette. Cannondale is using an 11-32 IRD cassette. Some people can make a road derailer work on a 32 but others have had problems. The T2 uses an LX mountain bike derailer and an 11-34 cassette. This is easily in the range of the LX. You might even be able to use an SLX cassette and push the low down to a 36 tooth cog. Even I would consider a 22/36 gear ratio to be stupidly low...but I still want it

The Tiagra front derailer on the T2 is also a superior triple derailer. It's wider and more forgiving than the Ultegra. I have both on two bikes and the Tiagra doesn't require nearly as much futzing as the Ultegra.

Overall, I give Cannondale cudos for having two touring bikes. It'd be nicer if their T1 were designed around touring equipment instead of race equipment.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!