View Single Post
Old 12-04-09, 01:32 PM
nwmtnbkr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTR2EBIKE
I am looking to get my first E-Bike by the end of this year so that is why I joined. I want your opinions on what is a good first bike. not really looking to spend more than 2000 but the less the better.(feel free to post anything in price thought I'd like to see all the options) I saw a few online for 300-500 new but I supposed those are all garbage correct? It will be primarily used for a 7 mile commute mostly flat but little up hills. Would like it to look like a regular bike and the higher top speed the better. Also I want to be able to get on and ride it the full 7 miles without having to pedal if that is possible. If not I guess i'll be doing some light pedaling. I think that is it for now. All help is greatly appreciated

I was just doing a little more research and see that no stock bike really goes over 20mph. I would like to be able to go at least 30mph, so any suggestions on a cheap e-bike like one from izip.com or ezip.com that can be upgraded to go faster would be greatly appreciated.
Currie, which makes the iZips and eZips, has more expensive bikes with hub motors and LiION batteries in their stable of products. However, for an entry level bike you can't beat their low-cost bikes. They use a non-hub motor that has great torque. This summer, I actually installed the Currie conversion kit on my 21-speed moutain bike (if you have an existing bike you can get the Currie conversion kit from the SuperKids for $279.99 with free shipping, that's where I got mine this summer). I retired to the northern US Rockies (I'm west of Glacier National Park) and found I wasn't riding my bike too much because the hills were killing my knees. I now ride it all the time and have put over 600 miles on it since mid-July. I'm not interested in speed, I need help on the hills, but I can get 17 MPH riding aggressive knobby tires (using smoother road tires would probably add 2MPH, but I ride unimproved, gravel forest roads a lot and need the traction of knobby tires). My top speed may be a bit higher because I have 21 gears--the eZip and iZip (along with many e-bikes) has 7 gears. The lower-end Currie bikes come with an SLA battery pack that is mounted to the rack system. You can upgrade to LIFEPO4, if you want to. Before spending that kind of money though, I'd make sure you think you'll be using the bike regularly. LIFEPO4 batteries are incredibly expensive. I will probably build my own LIFEPO4 battery pack using prismatic cells this winter, along with an ABS case that can slide into the Currie rack (I like the fact that their rack mounted battery system keeps the weight of the batteries positioned low, it helps with the handling of the bike).

If you're new to commuting and aren't really sure whether you'll make a commitment to it, I wouldn't spend a huge amount of money on an e-bike. They depreciate just as much as a car driven off the dealer's lot. Also, check your state's statutes. If you get an e-bike or conversion kit capable of going over 20 MPH, your state may classify it as a moped and require it to be insured and licensed.

FYI, this is a picture of my bike with the Currie kit installed (and pogies--handlebar mitts--for winter riding). I always have panniers on my bike and you really don't notice the motor. Good luck.

Last edited by nwmtnbkr; 12-04-09 at 09:57 PM.