une_vitesse
Peace and bicycle grease!

Bikes: '85 Schwinn Voyageur, Ross Mt Hood, Rossin, the Nugget

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cnnrmccloskey
As said in my original post the threads are fine, I just took it apart again and verified this.
Yes it is a left threaded lockring,
Yes the lockring does bottom out on the cog
And yes I have the proper tools and as for the proper torque... Tight? Really tight? cause if so yes.

My lbs friend just told me to take it apart clean it regrease it and slap it back together with as much torque as possible. I'll repost if it recurs.

Thanks for all the help
Calvin from Park Tools suggests not to tighten the lockring down too much. The cog must be tight as heck, but not the lockring. Sorta makes sense. Putting backwards pressure on the cog will tighten it against the reverse threaded lockring. Over tightening the lockring may cause damage to its threads or lockring wrench notches.
Inspecting for damage in the lockring threads can be a little tricky, since there aren't many, and they are internal.
A client of mine was having the same problem (cog slipping). He brought us the wheel as soon as it happened and we were able to take care of the issue by removing the lock ring and cog, cleaning the whole set up, and installing the cog with grease and the lock ring with locktite.
If you go that route, make sure that the lock ring threads are completely devoid of grease.
Locktite 242 (blue) will allow you to remove the lock ring at a later date, should you wish to do so.