View Single Post
Old 12-08-09, 12:44 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tatfiend
Clifton;

Is your Supernova E3 the standard or asymmetric beam version? From the photos on Peter White's web site I figured that the E3 standard had a longer beam throw than the Edelux. Could well be that the LED in the Edelux has been upgraded since the photo was taken.

I have the B&M IQ Cyo standard and do not care for the dark area immediately in front of the front wheel. Per the Supernova web site the asymmetric beam E3 is supposed to provide the best close in illumination of any of their dynamo lights.
It's the original E3 standard (symmetrical/round) beam version. I bought the E3 when the Edelux came out, because I didn't feel like waiting 3 months for an Edelux. (If you recall, they were in short supply and high demand, and there was quite a wait for those of us who didn't get in on the first round of them.)
The E3 standard can throw a very long beam, but if you aim that main spot too far out, then the top spill is just going off into the night sky. I keep the main spot aimed about 35' out and that still puts a good amount of the top spill from the light on the street instead of into people's eyes. It also gives good fill in front of the wheel and to the sides of the road so I can scan for woodland creatures as I'm barelling downhill in the darkness.

I have the Cyo on my other bike, and the reflector/optics are the same so the beam pattern is identical. If you mount it low, you can minimize that dark spot at the wheel. Another option is to get a Cyo-R with the nearfield lighting and run them together.