just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Shayne
Just to add to the airflow while riding indoors talk:

I just got power on my bike a couple weeks ago. I've been doing 20 min. intervals on the trainer with a 20" fan right in front of my face. I've been trying to hold 300 watts, which is sub threshold, probably 90%-95%. Been coming in with an avg. in the high 290's. Basicly trying to raise my FTP through SST this winter.

The other day, I took my bike and trainer to a team trainer session. There were no fans and after an hour my power was way down, WAY down. I could hardly get to 200w. The thing is my HR was up in the 90-95% zone and my PE was high. If it were not for the power readings, I'd have no idea that something was amiss.

What I need to figure out is, was this workout a wast of time because the watts were low or did I still benifit since my HR was in zone? Anyone have an idea on that?
Good for you! IMHO, no workout is a complete waste of time, however some workouts are more effective than others. In the case of your hot workout, at least your heart got some work, which is good. However your muscles, mitochondria, and energy delivery systems didn't get the workout you intended for them. OTOH, you got some hot weather training, unfortunately probably contraindicated at this time of year.