Thread: Brooks
View Single Post
Old 12-09-09, 10:10 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick@OCRR
My Sella Anatomica is flaring up a bit on the sides and I was thinking about lacing it; should be pretty much like a Brooks in that regard. Thanks for the tips, and I will probably use a drill too.

Rick / OCRR
My problem is the same. At teh tension and angle that works well for me, the saddle flare causes some chafing, where the B17N Imperial does not, due to its lacing. SA says to increase tension to pull in the skirts, but that results in sitbone discomfort. I'm planning to add laces to hold in the SA skirts where the chafing occurs, and leave the rest of the saddle free to flex. Flex is one of the great things about the SA design. I don't want to tie the shoelace so tight that the edges of the cutout raise. I think that would lead to new discomfort.

Guess my main point is that I don't think the lacing pattern on the 17N is the one to use.

I moved the lacing on my 17N Imperial to the rear set of holes, to add stiffness to the sitbone support area without stiffening the leather in the horn area. That works pretty well.