View Single Post
Old 12-09-09, 02:05 PM
jamiethegiraffe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sugino RD2 chainline

so here's a new one for ya'll... and yes that is sarcasm you detect...
i recently bought a track frame with a sugino RD2 touring crank (has bolts on the inside for the granny gear) attached to what i believe to be a sugino 103 BB. this combination is reported to give one a 45mm chainline when the chain ring is on the outside of the spider (as it currently is).
i'm running this with a formula track hub, dura ace cog + lock ring which i assume to give me a chain line of ~42mm.
3mm difference is not something i'm really into, and while the chain line is pretty quiet, it's not that morbid silence i demand.
so for starters, i tried moving the chain ring (48t, 1/8") to the inside of the spider, but no such luck: the chain ring rubs against the chain stays.
Ideally, i'd like a perfectly straight chain line, but i'm willing to settle for 1-2mm difference between the ring and the cog.
options for achieving this include a 107mm BB with the chainring on the inside of the spider, redishing the wheel to change the chainline (would really rather avoid this), spacing the rear sprocket (is that a terrible idea?), or perhaps just a smaller chainring (44t? 42t? will this provide enough chain stay clearance?)
I'm willing to shell out some $$ to make this happen (perhaps for a new BB) but i'd like to keep the process relatively inexpensive.
So! What do ya'll think is the best option?
anything i've overlooked that could solve this easily?
thoughts? opinions? **** talking cause it's moronic for the RD2 to have a 45mm chain line?
thanks for your help!