View Single Post
Old 12-09-09, 06:03 PM
jacksbike

Bikes: Trek 7.5 Hybrid, Trek 1.1 Road, Holdsworth touring,Raleigh International,Ritchey Commando,Italvega Speciallissimo,et.al.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Now that I think about it, removing stuck seat posts was probably the most frustrating and incredibly time consuming repair jobs that I ever did. If a freewheel would not come off the hub, I could always just take off the individual cogs, clamp the body in a vise, and voila, get it off. However, stuck seat posts, like the original poster, sometimes became 3 to 5 day battles of wills, or wits. I guess it is sort of like man versus machine, sort of. You know that it is there, right in front of you, and challenging you to get it the heck out. Once you start removing the crankset and pouring various liquids down the seat tube, it starts getting might personal. By the way, I do recollect some very funky 27.0/27.2 Trek seat posts problems-bad fits. Could have been the seat post diameter being off a bit, but I really think that the problem was either the tubing/paint or contamination in the tubing, or seat post tubing not bored out correctly. Just enough of a problem to be a pain.