Old 12-11-09, 07:56 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano vs. Look - Your Feedback is Requested!

Alright, I'm having a hard time deciding between two new-to-me pedal systems. In the past I have used Look (in the 80's), Time metal pedals (90's through ~ 2006), Xpedo "Look style" pedals, Speedplay, and currently the Time RXS Carbon pedals. I am switching from the Time pedals because the front tip of the pedal has broken off after less than 2 years of use. I didn't care for the Xpedo pedals because it felt like the cleat rotation was too stiff and restrictive. Some of the reasons I switched from Speedplay were that I had problems with developing hot spots under the foot, and I liked the more supportive platform of the Time pedals.

I'm a borderline Clydesdale (gah target weight 170), who likes to do a lot of climbing when injuries aren't holding me back. I do tend to develop over-use injuries, so I do like a lot of pedal float with minimal resistance. I am also going to have a professional fitting done. I have narrowed my choices down to the following two pedals:

The Shimano 105 (PD-5610)

Things I like about the Shimano pedals include:
  • Broader cleat, which probably helps with stability and dispersing pressure
  • The metal pedal body is probably more durable than the composite
  • Less expensive than the Looks
  • Cleats with 6 degrees of float are included

The Look Keo 2 Max

Things I like about the Look pedals include:
  • Cleats that allow 9 degrees of float (but they're sold separately)
  • The longer threaded part of the spindle allows the use of spacers to widen the Q-factor (although Campy discourages that with their cranks).
  • They're lighter, but quite frankly, that's really not relevant at my weight. Durability is a greater concern.

The lists above have me leaning toward the Shimano pedals The fact that the Look cleats seem to be criticized for being squeaky and not too durable also makes me favor Shimano. However, the wider range of float for the Look pedals keep tempting me. Has anyone used both styles? If so, is there a difference in the ease of float / freedom of movement, or does that depend on how tightly the release tension is set?

I'm probably going to go with the Shimano pedals and keep the Looks in mind if they're unsatisfactory, but I thought I'd see if there were any compelling arguments otherwise. Any feedback is appreciated, thanks in advance!