Old 03-28-05, 11:14 PM
labratmatt
Total Hack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wangster
I've got a squeak in my bb and it's only at one part of the rotation, about an inch on the chainring side. I was wondering if i should be concerned and get some lube there or it's nothing to worry about?

Also, I keep hearing about framesavers that you can get to treat the inside of the frame. What does it do and is it something i should look into since i ride a steel frame? how is it applied?

One last thing is why is it that if I pass a roadie on my roadie they'll generally acknowledge me, but if I do it on my fixie they look at me like i'm an idiot? thanks and anything you wanna add to a relative new fixie rider is welcome.
1. Yes, you should be concerned. Mechanical problems generally don't fix themselves. Are you running a sealed BB or is the older cup and cone style? Is it a new BB? When did it start making that noise? Does it make the noise when you've got the bike upside down and just turn the crank with your hands?

2. Framesaver is a treatment that keeps the steel from oxidizing. I guess it's like a primer or paint type thing more than an oil. I've never used it. If you don't ride a lot in the rain/snow and you keep your bike inside, you probably don't need to worry about it. On the other hand, it isn't that much money, so it might be a case where you can say "better safe than sorry."

3. I have no idea. Do you dress differently when you ride the fixie?