View Single Post
Old 03-29-05, 01:53 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Another vote for the Saris Bones 3, but we have a secondary reason for using it. If you look at the silver part in the middle of the second picture you'll see that it's a tube that the straps go through (as shown in the first picture. This tube has an interior diameter about the size of a soda can. What we do is lock a contractor grade Master Lock cable to the frame of the car (at one of the tow points). Next we run the cable through the rack weaving it through the wheels frame etc then we use my Kryptonite EV disc lock to secure the other end back to the cable. When we take the bikes off to ride we just wind the cable around the rack to take up slack and lock it to the portion coming up from under the car. Yes we go through some (ahem) interesting neighborhoods, but with this setup we haven't had a problem even when we stop for lunch after a ride. Just be sure to use big intimidating locks not puny padlocks. Also the bikes don't "wag" while driving. As far as being rear-ended goes we have renter's insurance that will cover them if they are damaged, destroyed etc. If you have more expensive bikes a rider can be attached to your car insurance (it's not that much more).

sort of a side note: Where the cable would hit / rub on the bumper I slit one of those foam "noodle" pool toys down one side and slipped the cable inside (they have a hole that's the perfect size) a little duct tape and boom no girlfriend wigging out about roughed up bumper paint.