View Single Post
Old 12-14-09, 07:47 PM
Tunnelrat81

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much Freewheel wobble is ok?

Ok, so a bit ago I had a discussion on here about an IRD freewheel that I had fail after just ~2 months of use. I sent it back through my LBS and they sent me a warranty replacement. The new one looks good so far (as did the original IRD) but I noticed after spinning it onto my rear wheel it has a fairly pronounced wobble during freewheeling. I realize that some of this is normal, and have noticed this on many other freewheels, just never to this degree. It doesn't appear to be enough to throw the tuning off, but it nudges my chain around a bit when it's on the small cog end of it.

My first reaction was "poop, I must have cross-threaded it during installation and it's off by a thread"...so today on my way home from work I spun into a LBS to pick up the freewheel removal tool and pull it back off. Pulled it off, cleaned the anti-seize off of the threads to discover that they are in perfect shape, no damage from cross-threading on either the hub OR the FW. Spinning it on isn't "smooth" and was difficult to turn by hand, but didn't get progressively harder until it was fully seated, so I don't think it could be cross threaded, just quite wobbly.

So how much is acceptable? Should I contact IRD again with further complaint? Is the wobble a combination of crooked threading on my hub combined with that of the FW? I'd want to get this resolved so I don't have to drive to work, but want to make sure I'm not complicating things by using it if there's something fishy going on.

Thanks so much.

-Jeremy