Old 12-16-09, 07:10 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
Was the lane wide enough to share without drivers having to cross into the other lane or squeeze the cyclist to pass?
No shoulder, just a curb, so no wiggle room on the right. Standard traffic lanes intended for one car (I haven't measured, but they are clearly less than the 14 foot width, so AFRAP does not apply in Texas). When I ride through there, I take the lane.

Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Herd psychology, I see it in NYC often. They pile up one after another and follow the first car until one wakes up, "oh, wait, I can change the line and pass!" The first car often is going to turn so it doesn't bother passing the cyclist since it's about to turn anyway.
No, not that at all; it was rush hour traffic and the middle lane was already occupied. I'm guessing it slowed down when someone jumped out around the bike in a gap that was barely big enough and/or the cars were queuing up to pass (i.e., every car in the middle lane was allowing a car from the right lane over to pass the cyclist).

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."