Old 12-16-09, 09:12 PM
mr_antares

Bikes: Trek 2.3, Trek FX-7.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pressure recommendations for Marathon Winters?

I just got my Marathon Winter (700x35) tires and put them on my Trek FX. I haven't ridden them yet.

I'm not sure what pressure I should be using, so I thought I'd ask those of you who have them to tell me about your experiences.

I'm a 250lb Clyde, and in my summer tires (Pasela Panaracers) I run max pressure (115 PSI). I don't want to got too low in pressure, for fear of pinch flats at my weight. On other hand these tire top out at 85 PSI. Should I just run them at 80 PSI or so, and let my weight flatten them out? Or can I run less pressure safely?

BTW, I didn't have all that much trouble getting them on, although I did use a bead jack on the front tire (my front rim is narrower than my rear rim). The tires were shipped in a "figure 8" coil, and they are stiff enough that they haven't completely recovered from their voyage through UPS yet.

That said, they are on the bike and inflated to roughly 50 PSI each. We'll see what they look like in the AM.

Forecast here is for bitter cold and wind for the next couple of days, but no additional rain or snow. The commute today (on the panaracers) was one of the slowest ones ever (from fighting the wind, mostly). It will be interesting to see the difference is (snow tires vs summer tires).