Old 12-21-09, 03:59 PM
Fat Boy
Wheelsuck

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeWise1
That's nice. May we see a link to your warranty terms? Just curious.
It's a handshake. Hard to put a link on that.

That's nice too. But what's your distribution like? How many units do you put out there in a year? 100? 1000? 10,000?

It makes a difference. I build wheels and take care of questionable problems for people all the time. But I don't build thousands of sets a year. The more you make the more likely someone will try to abuse your policies.
Are larger businesses not held to the same standard as a smaller one? Has Trek stated that the bottom bracket was broke due to something other than pedaling?

What you are failing to grasp is that had WR still been covered, he's have a new frame by now. He chose to go outside retail.
If your used products were all over ebay, would you still replace broken ones? What if you had a dealer network to satisfy?

Maybe you sell anvils, but carbon bikes can be damaged by simply falling over!

Completely covered under warranty. No warranty, no coverage. Didn't buy the insurance? Don't whine when you have a loss.
Quite true. I stated that Trek had no legal liability. There's a difference in doing what you're legally liable for and doing what you feel is right. If I were Mr. Trek and I saw one of my products fail in a manner such as this, I'd do what I could to make it right. It's not an issue of warranty. It's an issue of the perceived value of my product.

You may be in business, but you have no clue about bike retail, that's for sure! Dealers (I am one) cannot afford to give away 20% except on buying mistakes. Cost of doing business approaches 40%. Bikes are nearly break even these days, so you will not find any shop(not about to go out of business) giving away current product like the Madone at 20% off.
I believe I already stated I'm not in the bike business. I see bikes discounted pretty heavily, especially in the bigger shops. From this I can guess at margins. I doubt anyone is getting rich owning a small bike shop, and I completely understand that you have to make money to stay in business. Keep in mind, I'm not faulting a shop. My contention is that one way or another Trek messed up. Is this point up for debate?

This is ludicrous! That new bike would have a warranty! You would never experience what WR has. Please note-this thread has never been about Trek's refusal to honor a legitimate warranty claim-it's about someone who wanted something for nothing.
Again, completely true. I doubt my wife would be ripping he bottom bracket out of a bike anyway.

Look, we have a different view on this issue. You see mine as completely crazy. I don't particularly care. It is what it is. I'm entitled to my opinion. As far as I'm concerned this could be (or at least could have been) a completely civil discussion. Don't take it so personal and don't make it so personal. It's an internet forum thread, not your last will and testament.