View Single Post
Old 12-29-09, 07:22 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Lamabb
Well I guess if the snow melts into the pavement and the roads aren't wet for one day this winter, I'll give a century a try and see how I feel afterward. I may just extend my tour a few days to give me some time to rest if need be.
I think your tour sounds great and I really encourage you to do it, but I want to inject a note of caution. If you are to come close to 5 back to back Centuries early in the spring and your max daily mileage to date is 60 then you need to be out now putting in the miles, or you need to cut your miles to 50 per day. Wet and cold should not be stopping you form getting on the bike! I can knock off 60 or 70 mile days easily, but getting up to 100 is a challenge. Your physiology will start to rebel somewhere around 80 miles and you have to have done it before to know how to eat, hydrate and generally baby your body along to be successful. Also you are going through Vermont and having ridden across a couple of the Gaps I can tell you that they are a challenge. While I'm sure you'll get lots of help on here about riding and gear I strongly encourage you to load up your bike and go on some long day rides before setting out for Canada.