UBUvelo
astrositupataphysicyclist

Bikes: too many now

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrtornadohead
So not so enamoured with platforms. Funny, I thought the old "bear-trap"/cage style platforms with Powergrips were a great alternative to cilpless or old-style toe-clips. For one, you don't have to keep stabbing to clip in, just step on and go. You don't have to worry about the pedal or cleats getting clogged with mud. And Once you get to pedalling a bit and have momentum built up, kick them over and slide your foot in. They don't dig in like toe clips.

Granted, I've only raced once (week and a half ago) but it seemed to work well. Besides, I've used this setup on road and on MTB trails so I am used to it. (gave up Looks and SPDs to go to this current set up).
well, i still am going platform because it is second (and third) nature! i know i am losing efficiency, but yeah, for all that jumping on and (falling) off the bike during a 'cross race, i think you'd really have to be used to clipless...i'll be making the switch for the road bike this spring...and maybe by september, i'll be one with the clipless. i actually hacksaw'd ALL extra plastic off the stock pedals on my retro Giant Innova...! and the best shoe for it was some ROOS (made for astroturf....)