View Single Post
Old 12-31-09, 07:43 PM
herbster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FasterthanU
in all my time working on bikes, I've only ever seen one frame that rusted through to the point of being unsafe.
Thanks everyone for your great help. I simply shone a torch down it, doesnt look too bad to be honest. I suppose I ought to have done that sooner.
I noticed today that the bb hub/axle is a bit wobbly, so thought to my amature self, 'that looks like it needs some work'. So I reached for the crank extractor and took it apart. lol
Well the result has raised some questions. Upon the dismantling of the BB, I reached inside to pull out the bearing cartridge on the nd/leftside (this is beginning to sound like an adult novel) and noticed something a bit slimy, (ooer!) not the grease no, this was a rolled up piece of card. 'What is that about?' I asked myself. I am really not impressed because it appears to be jammed into the threading of the adjustable cup. I am scared to remove the adjustable cup for the following reason. If I move it the darned thing might be too loose in the threading and then I'm more screwed than now.
To the mechanics out there my question is,
Is this normal practice?
Or is this because some dunce kid in a chain store cross threaded the original thread and they have tried to make it tighter this way?
There is a significant amount of rust in there because the card has been clogging it all up.
So do I gamble and try to tighten it? Or leave it and let it rattle?
ANY idease would be great.
Herbster

Last edited by herbster; 12-31-09 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added detail