mclelands

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Honeymoon

-When did you start?
October 28, 1996 - two days after our wedding

-What made you want to try a bicycle built for two?
We were at a bed and breakfast the weekend of our wedding and the owner asked if we wanted him to clean up an old tandem (70's vintage Schwinn) he had in the garage. We looked at each other and said "sure". Little did we know that we'd love it and spend the whole weekend on that bike - ok not the whole weekend since it was our honeymoon.

-What was your first bike?
70's vintage Schwinn to an early 90's Santana Visa

-Who was your first stoker?
I am the only stoker my captain has had (and will have:-)

-Have you been riding tandems continuously since you started or did you ever take a break from them?
After our weekend adventure on the Schwinn, it was a few years before we borrowed the Santana. We were looking for something we could do together and remembered how much fun we had on the Schwinn. After a few years of casual riding on the Santana, and our friend wanted the bike back, we decided to purchase a tandem - Trek T1000. We wanted to get a bit more serious but not wanting to invest top dollar just in case we weren't as serious as we thought. We really took to riding and love spending time together on the bike. After 4+ years on the Trek we decided to invest in a da Vinci Joint Venture - great investment.

-Anything else you want to share about your tandem cycling?
As the stoker on the team, I feel riding a tandem has strengthened our relationship on and off the bike as well as provides a lot of great adventures. Maybe riding a tandem should be part of premarital counseling - it might just help the divorce rate:-)