Old 01-03-10, 10:57 PM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
Yes, face, hands and feet will get much colder in the wind but for the torso and the legs it shouldn't be that much different - unless you're wearing side or back ventilated jacket then the cold wind will force itself inside. Also, since you lose something like 60% (or more?) of body heat through your head and neck I find wearing a balaclava plus a warm skull cap makes me feel warmer overall.

Adam
fyi, - "Scientists debunk the myth that you lose most heat through your head"
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/20...humanbehaviour

Also, I think I may not have explained myself very about about windchill. It's not that the wind can't affect you, it's that I find it nearly impossible to figure out how it will affect you. It's somewhat easier to calculate windchill if you're standing still, though it still depends on if you're exposed to the wind or have stuff blocking it, etc.

But on the bike - I've just found it impossible to determine. If there's a decent wind, but you're traveling with the wind, you can actually be warmer than if there was no wind. If you're going into the wind, it's definitely colder. And which way it is can change dramatically as you bike - one minute you're biking with a sidewind, the next minute you take a turn and you're going into the wind. Later you're shielded from the wind...

I'm not trying to say the wind won't affect you, but I've found it's nearly impossible to determine exactly how it's going to affect me unless I happen to be on some sort of east-west route that's exposed to the wind with no turns. Which is...nearly impossible.