Old 01-04-10, 12:51 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
It my case it's pretty easy to know how it's going to affect me. Work is N-NW of where I live so most of my commute I'm either traveling North, West, or both. On about 1/2 of my commute I'm fairly exposed to the wind. Winter winds around here, especially on extra cold days, are often out of the North and/or West so that means a headwind going into work. That's also the time of the day when temps are typically at their lowest.

My basic winter garb is good from about 0 to 25 F though I'll often start making some changes as it gets down into the low single digits. A windy day means I might start reaching for the more extreme gear at 8 degrees instead of 2. A real windy day means I might have my most extreme winter gear on at -5 instead of -15.

There's nothing hard and fast but I do know that if I ignore the wind when considering my clothing choices, I can end up being awfully miserable.

Once I get downtown the wind direction can change depending on what street I'm on, but that's a short part of my journey.

Last edited by tjspiel; 01-04-10 at 12:59 AM.