Old 01-04-10, 10:15 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by AdamDZ
A simple IR image of unclothed human body will debunk the above debunking The head is the hottest part of the body at any given time.

"If as much as 45 percent of body heat were lost through your head, going out without a hat would feel like going out without trousers". That's not the point, that sentence is silly, it's not about how one "feels" but how much total energy is lost from the body. You feel colder without trousers because larger area of your skin is exposed (more nerve endings are screaming "cold!"), but that doesn't mean you're losing more heat this way. And you're more likely to get frost bite on exposed limbs, because they're colder than your head. Your brain is the most power hungry organ, it alone consumes something like 20%-25% of your total body energy.

Adam
Well, we could go back and forth, but I'm sure it would just turn into one of those pseudo-technical back and forth's where no one can really "prove" anything. I mean, it's not like I'm going to "simply" pull out my IR imager, then follow it up with a double blind study of my own, lol.

Nonetheless, I feel compelled to link to this, which when you consider the small size of the head compared to the 40% figure, seems entirely possible when there's no wind for someone who's acclimated to the cold, lol -
http://wow-really.blogspot.com/2006/...ough-your.html

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
52.jpg (15.4 KB, 7 views)