Old 01-04-10, 08:14 PM
BadBoy10

Bikes: Mercier Mini Velo, Rivendell Quickbeam, 80's Hampton Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Riding(commuting) in peace--SF

Do you get strange people talking to you as you commute? Do people stop you to question you about the bicycle or give their opinion (unsolicited) about your preferred mode of transportation?

Here's the scoop:

I ride a Cannondale Bad Boy (2010). I love her but now want a "vintage bike" because the Bad Boy causes to much attention. I literally have to spend too much time IMO chaining her down or fending off disruption from people wanting to harass me about the bike. I have been in the store, looked back only to see someone touching the seat, sitting on the seat, clicking the brakes!

Saturday, I took the bus home and a strange man approached me at the bus stop and advised me if someone stole "that bike" they would only get a $20 crack rock from the drug man. Huh? It was so strange. Then he proceeded to question the cost of the bike. He guessed $350. Finally, he described from birth to adult hood his life as a thief, exconvict and Vietnam veteran.

This is not the first time someone has approached me and "discussed" something off the wall. Sadly, they are never quite able to pick up on my nonverbal cues of "So what! Leave me alone! I don't care! I don't want to talk!"

Why does this happen to me? I just want to be left alone. I do not bother anyone. I do not make eye contact. I am polite yet cautious. For some reason, I always get the freaks, the weirdos---and I cannot stand it. I do not engage the conversation. Often, I simply stare off into space as they are talking. At the same time, I don't want to tell someone to *(&*&(&*97b ___off and things get upsetting.