View Single Post
Old 01-05-10, 05:42 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uspspro
Honestly, I wish the Alpha was a bit stiffer.

Ritterview had Edge composites make a tandem fork, I wonder if they'd do another.
My yet-to-be received Calfee does have an Edge 2.0 fork. Though I corresponded with Edge representatives, I never could get the straight story on this fork. There was talk of a one-off reinforced 2.0, but as far as I know, the fork Edge sent is a stock 2.0.

Mike Moore at Calfee told me that Edge has tested competitor's forks, and found the Edge 2.0 fork to be stronger than the Alpha Q. I've seen a photo cache from Edge featuring broken rival's carbon components that verify Edge does such testing. Was this the Alpha Q X2 tandem fork? Was the Edge stiffer? I don't know.

The Edge 2.0 fork is reputed to be stiff and robust, it is the favorite fork at the component obsessed WW forum. It might be a good tandem fork, it weighs 350 grams, just 25 gms less than the Alpha Q, and Edge's excellent carbon might be enough to make up the difference.

The thing is, however, that Edge makes clear in its literature that Edge Composites forks are not approved for tandem bicycle use.

Maybe Edge says this because they don't think the Edge 2.0 is up to the job, or even if they suspect their fork is worthy they don't think the tandem market large enough to test for.

I'll report on this fork when I ultimately get my bike. If it isn't up to task, I'll switch it out and put it on my BMC.