View Single Post
Old 01-06-10, 02:31 PM
atoms
Señor Member

Bikes: '86 Voyageur, '82 Voyageur SP FOR SALE, '88 Le Tour fixed Townie, 2011 Diamondback Overdrive 29er

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrk101
How many thrift stores will it take? I find one decent thrift store bike in about 1 visit out of every 500, I am not kidding! And then, I could care less what size the bike is, as it will probably be resold. Finding one my size at a thrift store? It has happened twice in about 2500 visits (one I kept, one I sold). Fortunately, I have found a lot of other stuff at thrift stores in the last year, that have been resold through ebay or consignment shops (kind of a hobby for me). I pretty much find an item (usually several) every visit. My batting average on garage sales is MUCH better, probably one decent bike (usually not my size) every 10 garage sales.

My last decent thrift store bike find was last July.... I still go for the other stuff.
Your numbers sound large, but I believe them. I kinda gave up on thrifting many years ago after I calculated my time to find ratio. But that was back when I only owned one bike at a time and their vintage was simply a matter of when I bought them. All the talk about thrift store finds here in C&V got me sort of excited about the prospect of thrifting bikes. But now that you mention it, back when I was a regular at the thrift stores I only recall seeing really bottom of the barrel bikes.

When you are looking for a keeper bike, in your size, Craigs List is a better option. Just be ready to pounce. My family keeper fleet has one thrift store bike, two ebay bikes, and the rest Craigs List.

As for the specific World Sport, yes, that is a 1984 model. This time of year, in my market, the bike would have to be perfect and ready to ride (fresh tires, bearings, grease, cables), to warrant that price. And considering it is a big size, it would still be on the high end price wise. Every market is different, but Chicago in the winter should be a buyers market.

But if you could get that bike for $100 to $110, it would be a pretty good deal (assuming it fits). Tall frame in the middle of winter, seller may be waiting a while.
Thanks for the suggested price range. The seller claims he won't go under $140, but he also claims it is "mint" and in "amazing condition". I think I'll try to take a look at it. The rest of this week does not look good for a test ride though weatherwise...

NOTE: The only Schwinn I saw on Chicago's Craigs List was a Schwinn World, not a World Sport. Those are two different models. The 1984 World is a bottom end bike, probably has a high ten steel frame and steel rims. A $100 bike on a good day.
It is definitely a World Sport - or at least that is what is says in the ad. I can't exactly tell from the photo.