Old 01-07-10, 01:29 PM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
what do you folk's reckon is the best way to keep warm this winter.
i find with the merino base layer ,it's great for keeping warm but as soon as i stop cycling i can feel the cold setting in ,so as a base layer i don't thinkit's much good.
what do you folks find is the best base layer/mid layer/and jacket what works for you.
cheers
antokelly
Easy on-off layers can be very helpful. You can shed layers as needed (exertion, warmer temps), and add them as needed -- with very little time or trouble. Having them in an easily accessible place helps, and making it easy to store them also helps (if you can just slip them under a bungee, for example, it makes it very easy to take them off and store them).

Another feature that has worked well is full front zippers. Other zippers can also help. It makes temperature regulation a lot easier.

One or more snug, warm turtleneck layers are great for the cold. With a full zip, it's easy to vent.

Vapor barrier layers are also very useful. My favorite is a snug high-neck shell that pulls everything underneath together. Having the layers close to your body is more heat conserving than having them be loose.

Layers, full zips all the way, plus easy on-off, good insulation, snug -- all are good in my experience.

To mitigate the chill when you stop, don another layer early on. Vapor barrier layers are good for this.

Another principle that can help is alternating the insulation layers, like wool and fleece, with vapor barrier layers, like coated nylon.

It can help to anticipate, too -- remove layers ahead of time, well before you overheat; and add layers well before you feel the chill. It helps to get the timing right.

Last edited by Niles H.; 01-07-10 at 07:00 PM.