Old 01-09-10, 03:44 PM
Ivandarken
Senator from Secret

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beech333
Workingbikes in Chicago has a Galaxy for $175, if anybody is interested, though it is my least favorite in regards to color choices.

Ivandarken: Did you pick up the two green Dawes out of Northern Il that were on CL a while back?
I checked out that Workingbikes Galaxy today... I would have picked it up if it were all original. But the nature of that place is that volunteers take donated bikes and fix them up for locals to purchase and ride. There is not much incentive to keep the original parts if they don't work properly, and probably no incentive to repair things like derailleurs and such.

There was another Dawes three speed... unfortunately it had two big dents in the top tube, and I couldn't make out the name of the bike (Dawes had great, stupid names for their bikes... like "D'Artaneon") (There was a "Diana" womans bike that was already sold) The frame on the Galaxy was fairly beat, so while it would make a great beater city bike, It doesn't make my cut for a restoration project.

I would pay #50.00 for it as is. No dice!

I did pick up a big bag full of vintage Simplex front derailleurs though. Lovely 60's-70's Delrin plastic from the large parts bins. Now I can ride without worry, knowing that if (when) the plastic breaks on my early Peugeot, I can simply replace it each time. I'm good now for several years.

Last edited by Ivandarken; 01-09-10 at 03:47 PM.