View Single Post
Old 01-11-10, 08:42 AM
slcbob
bored of "Senior Member"

Bikes: Cross-Check/Nexus commuter. Several others for various forms of play.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 593 Times in 453 Posts
Originally Posted by newenglandbike
You make it sound as though anti-bicycle motorists and anti-car cyclists possess equally (il)legitimate world-views. No doubt, this is a very magnanimous gesture on your part. However, let's not forget that cycling is provably a superior method of transportation- particularly for a single individual on his/her way to work and back. This is not a matter of opinion, but is a verifiable fact under the laws of thermodynamics and mechanics. Bicycles are more efficient and less harmful to infrastructure. If more people rode bicycles to work rather than driving, the resource and deficit problems of this country and the world would be reduced. Again, that is a fact.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, and I know that you realize this, or you wouldn't be participating in this forum- and again, I find it very generous of you to ascribe any sort of legitimacy to the notion that vocal disdain for either form of transportation is equally unjustified. But the truth is, people who ride bikes to/from work have an undeniable point when they bemoan the number of cars on the road, and the carelessness with which people drive them.
Well I guess that just validates that to some there are only zealots and heretics. I detect traces of zealotry in your "argument" which, of course, labels my lack of blind faith and total acceptance as a heresy. So be it.

I prefer to think I am a believer but an informed believer and critical thinker not yet blinded by the inherent superiority of my favorite mode of transportation. Who was making no attempt to be magnanimous or to pass blanket illegitimacy evaluations. Only to remind all that, given the behavior of many irresponsible bikers, we are living in a glass house in many respects, none of which condones the vile sites and enmity that are the point of this thread and the OP's remarks.

Back to our regularly scheduled programming. Though with some humility and perspective, I hope. (and again thanks to the many posters who routinely infuse that to both camps)