View Single Post
Old 01-13-10, 06:08 AM
Sammyboy
The Legitimiser

Bikes: Gazelle Trim Trophy, EG Bates Track Bike, HR Bates Cantiflex bike, Nigel Dean fixed gear conversion, Raleigh Royal, Falcon Westminster.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I would. I have a 60's Raleigh roadster, with a 4 speed Sturmey Archer hub and all the trimmings (chaincase, full fenders etc) and I love it to bits. No, it's not an aggressive ride, but you can roll along majestically pretty fast; I don't find I have any trouble flying past the creaky mountain bikes whilst looking like a country gent, but I can't really compete with roadies on it. That's missing the point though; it's much more like driving a Rolls than riding a Harley. It's majestic, relaxing, and makes you feel like something a bit special. The only issue I ever have with it is that the combination of old sidepulls and steel rims doesn't provide great braking (I've been planning to rebuild the wheels with alloy rims), so a Pashley, with all the associated quality, alloy rims, 5 speeds, hub brakes and a Brooks (which I have yet to put on my Raleigh - still rolling a mattress saddle, which is just fine, but doesn't feel Rolls Royce!) would be mighty appealing. It's not even THAT expensive, at least here. More or less comparable with a Nexus 8 equipped commuter, really.