View Single Post
Old 01-14-10, 09:37 AM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I'd like to say I'm in, but I'm not. Sometimes I tire of the layer-up, strip-down, work, repeat routine of dealing with either cold (for us = sub 20F) or persistently rainy (20 straight days) weather.
Yeah, this became my attitude of late, too. When my commute was 20 mi rt/urban I was always in. Now that it's 40 mi rt/rural I found I got weary of the grind. Not of the cycling at all, but all of the ancillary stuff that goes with it. The constant level of concentration, attention to details, making sure I've got clean cycling clothes, proper gear for both legs of the commute, etc. Not to mention emergency repair equipment, making sure of re-charging batteries, etc. After 20+ years one would think it's automatic, but there's the problem. It had become SO automatic I'd forget obvious stuff, sometimes. At 40 miles daily one needs to plan/think more like a tourer than a commuter.

Have been laid-off since November, so I started swimming again. 40-60 mins 3/4 times per week. I find myself missing my bike after a few days and I'll go for a 20-40 miler 2-3 times per week now. Ride my singlespeed almost exclusively. It's gotten fun again.