kindablue
Fly on the wall

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Continental Travel Contact

My commuter is a Trek Police bike from 2001 (not a cop, just got a good deal at an auction). I recently bought a conti travel contact tire (26x1.75) to replace the conti town and country tire (26x1.9) that was worn down. Long story short I spent an hour trying to mount the sucker, lost 2 tire pries and a tube in the process . Its frustrating because I know how to mount a tire, or at least a road tire. I'm currently running conti gatorskins (700x23) on my road bike and those were a cinch to mount.

Currently I have only one tire pry left and the tire is mounted on a tube that I killed. I'll probably head to the lbs tomorrow to buy some new prys, but I don't want to pay for them to fix it if I don't have to.

Does anyone have an idea why the travel contact is so darn difficult to mount? Should I be mounting it differently than my road tires? Does that tire fit my rim (no clue about the size, just know it looks like a typical mtn bike rim...)?

The bummer is I wanted to switch to the travel contact. The town and country tires were great, but I like the idea of the knobs on the side.