pseudobrit
1.9lb/in

Bikes: LeMond, CAAD9/1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by closetbiker
I played hockey too, in the 60's and 70's. Back before helmets were worn. Guess how many head injuries there were back then? Less than since helmets were introduced. It's not about the helmets, it's the way the game has been played since. Above the shoulders was a no-no. It was never attempted. Helmets came in, sticks and elbows went up. Being face-washed into the glass happened. Head injuries started to show up.

It's how you do something that makes it dangerous. Not what you do.
None of this has anything to do with my point that since helmets became standard equipment, the optional bits (cages, visors) carry a stigma of unmanliness. It was the same when helmets were optional equipment -- players who chose to wear them were seen as being not tough. Then Bill Masterson died. Still, the stigma lives on.

I've knocked people out with my shoulder, so dirty/sloppy play has nothing to do with head injuries. Elbows were coming up before helmets. Gordie Howe was the master of a dirty elbow, and Pat Quinn put Orr on the path to retirement with one. Jeremy Roenick had his jaw shattered and Steve Yzerman hasd his orbital bone crushed by ordinary pucks last seasen. Both these guys are/were old school, no-visor guys who will be wearing them if/when they return.

For the record, helmet ≠ dangerous