View Single Post
Old 01-20-10, 09:59 AM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by LeeG
It happened, I got older and fatter. It wasn't supposed to happen, I remember clearly at age 28 (last bicycle race I was in) thinking, "as long as I keep riding I'll be fit when I get old". 26yrs later went to the doc for a heinous cold and warned the staff I probably had high blood pressure.
It can happen to the best of us. I used to run and xc-ski ultras, and do triathlons 18 or so years ago. I'm a far cry from that physique these days, although I've managed to get myself back into great condition by cycling. I was early stage hypertension with my blood pressure before I got things back under control.

Originally Posted by LeeG
Turns out that 800calories of beer won't get burned off with 300calories of cycling. Back on sobriety which worked for 12yrs, on blood pressure medicine. Now for the obvious part. Reducing caloric intake and increasing caloric output.
"To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life's problems." - H. Simpson
Strength to you on your sobriety, I know from personal experience how difficult that one can be. I also know that you'll see some immediate big progress by cutting out the booze. Sounds to me like you've already got a plan, and you're well on your way.